Sunday, October 25, 2009

How soon can I visit my Ex with cancer after surgery? What should I expect? What do I need to know?

He's having the tumor, in his digestive tract, removed today, and I would like to visit him in the hospital as soon as possible. I was thinking about bringing him some foil balloons. Any suggetions?
Answer:
Awwwww *huggles to you and him*My best guess is to go by what the nursing staff or his surgeon says. I had to wait about 3 days when my aunt had breast ca surgery before I could visit and even then she was still pretty groggy. Balloons are an excellent idea...something colorful to cheer him up. But yes, even if he isn't up to talking much, keep the conversation light and upbeat. He needs to know his friends are there for him. Since you're still on good terms, I might even suggest *assuming he's the type to appreciate it without freaking out* a small fuzzy get well stuffed animal *maybe a goofy gorilla*Best wishes to him.I'll say a prayer for him :)EDIT: OMG! I'm so so so sorry to here about his liver! He's on a donor list right?! If you need to vent or just talk, you know my email, friend :). Still praying for him
make sure he is allowed visitors, maybe in a couple of days, he will look totally grey or yellow from head to toe and have tubes going in and comming out of everywhere, he might be so doped up he cant stay awake. so dont stay long and dont stress him.
Look he needs to know that you are there for him. Do not freak out he is still the guy you knew, just probly scared and affaid that every one is going to run from him.
And what I think he would really like is if you go in and talk with him about some thing that makes him happy.
Alot of healing has to do with how you look at things if you see it in a good way, then he might too.
This time last year I had an operation to try and remove my tumour behind my heart (I'm ok now chemo has shrunk it). I think you defintely should leave it at least 3days. I wouldn't have appreciated foill ballons, hes not just had a baby! Just take in a card and tell him you hope hes ok and that youve been thinking of him, don't stay too long and don't talk about yourself for too long. I'm sorry if that's a little blunt but I am certain thats the best way.
Did you discuss visiting him in the hospital beforehand, and what did he say? Normally, if still on good terms, when to visit him in the hospital would have been mentioned sometime prior. Does he have another love relationship in his life? If so, respect and consideration should first be given to that relationship before an ex visits without prior ok. If there's any stress between a new love or his family and you, then sending flowers with a card is more appropriate.Call him first to ask him when or if he might be up to a 3 minute visit. (If he can't take a phone call, he's certainly not up to even the shortest visit.) Don't just show up there, especially since it sounds like visiting him wasn't discussed in advance. :)
Call and check with the hospital visiting policies are different at each one. My son had a kidney, tumor and other material removed in 2005. Only family was allowed to visit while he was in PICU (2 days). After that anyone could visit.
Give him two or three days to rest after major surgery. My 19 year old son has had three major cancer surgeries and recovered rapidly from all three with no complications. As for what to bring him . . cards or a nicely framed photograph would be nice. We always bring pictures and put them around the room. It's a good focal point for him.If your ex is fairly young and relatively healthy he may be out of the hospital sooner than you think.
You can visit whenever you want, but right after surgery he will be groggy. The next day might be best, non-latex balloons, cards, pictures or if he has a specific thing he collects or likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How to cure © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net