Saturday, October 31, 2009

How to fight a bad tonsil/throat infection?

I am fighting a deep tonsil/throat infection. I have been sick on and off since the beginning of February with sore throats, fever, and ear aches/infections. Last week I went to the doctor for the 4th time since February because my tonsils were so swollen, my throat was raw, and I had a huge lump on the side of my neck. My doctor said I have a deep infection in my tonsils and that I need to see an Ear/Nose/Throat (ENT) doctor to possibly have my tonsils removed. My doctor put me on antibiotics for 5 weeks (I'm on week 2 of my antibiotics now). My tonsils are still swollen and I still have a lump on my neck. The big problem is that I can't get in to the ENT until the beginning of July. My huge tonsils and lump on my neck are a pain, and I don't feel 100 %. Last night I had a low-grade fever (99.5), and my throat was so sore yesterday. My question is this: what can I do until July to improve my health? I'm a teacher, so I need to feel healthy and have energy. Any suggestions?
Answer:
Waiting until July for an ENT appointment is unacceptable if your in the US and not canada. Your tonsils are areas of tissue that "catch" bacteria, viruses and swell up to cause an immune response to destroy the pathogen. Neck is a lymphnode, infection drains from throat through lymphatic channels to "same tissue type" in neck and helps start an immune response. You being a Teacher, im assuming children or teens, you see a lot of bugs and bacteria. Most throat infections are either Bacteria (Strep) or Viral (Mono or Adenovirus). You need to reduce your exposure to possible infections. Try washing hands before eating lunch or eating anything while in a public area. (I know its tough to remember, but it will help). Avoid touching face as much as possible as this commonly leads to infection. I would seriously look for another ENT, because that is too long a wait. You shouldn't have to suffer. After 1st visit, you have to then schedule a surgury which can be 1-2 months away. Go to this website and search for a few other Dr's and see if they can get you in sooner. Its the American Board of ENT physicians.
http://www.entnet.org/ent_otolaryngologi...Good Luck
My dad used to make a drink for us that was super simple and always seemed to fight off severe sore throats. Mind you it was way back in the 50's. He would heat orange juice (with pulp) to just before boiling, then we would sip it. It was delicious. We could drink as much as we wanted. Shortly after drinking it you break a sweat. I'm 57 and it still works.
Sore throat is usually due to a viral infection. Gargling with warm salty water or mouthwash can reduce the pain and inconvenience. More details and home remedies available at http://ailments.in/sorethroat.html...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How to cure © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net