Saturday, October 31, 2009

How to get rid of a lisp? (not a gay sounding one)?

ok, so i have a lisp, and it's been bothering me for as long as i can remember. the kind of lisp i have involves trouble producing an "S" sound (as in sock, sandal, suitcase, etc) but not "sh" words like shoe, shine, etc. i say anything w/ that "S" sound through my nose, which is why it sounds terrible. actually its been sounding better over the years (i'm 19 now), but i get comments on it every so often. 2 different speech therapists that i had from 1st through 6th grade didn't help at all and only made it worse, as my teachers, parents, and myself could see that they we're just trying to replace it by making me talk w/ a different lisp! so is there anything i can do about it, because it's probably a direct cause of not having any self esteem or friends in college... thanks in advance!
Answer:
I am a child of the sixties, there was a period when having a lisp was fashionable for girls, so I developed one. Then I could not get rid of it. So I have had a lisp all my life since seventeen. Yeah sometiems people make fun of me even now, but I don't care any longer. I understand you are different as you are only nineteen. I went ot a speech therapist but she said it was not a bad enough problem to treat and told me to go to a voice coach as in actors and actresses. I never followed through but it might be an idea for you. There are also books in the library with expercises for you to do, again I never followed thou but you might want to. Remember Freddie Mercury had a lisp..it never stopped him Queen is one of the best bands of all time.
Speech therapist.
It's probably due to the position of your teeth. Braces will correct it. I had a slight one. I had gaps between my teethand an open bite. I have braces now. My teeth are straight, and no lisp. I have to wear them for maybe 7 or 8 more months....hey everyone, this person already mentioned they had a speech therapist and it didn't work, so why are you suggesting it to him?
Have you tried speech thearpy? Try it.
at night just practice say words with an s to your self and you will eventualy get it yrust me i had a lisp with my r's and now its gone
speech therapist
jeeze.
I would say you just havent gotten to a good speech therapist. Maybe now, as an adult, you will be able to work better with a speech therapist.
Good luck my friend.
Keep trying speech therapists, someone has to work, I know there is also Cassette tapes you can listen to that take you through different speech lessons. It would be cheaper than a therapist and you can work on it all the time. Just remeber your young and people can be petty at your age, anyone who point's out a problem you cannot control is not worth hanging around. Life gets better with age and thankfully so do people! Good Luck and I hope it all works out for you:)!!!
a good speech therapist and lots of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How to cure © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net